Honest feedback

Have to be honest here but this whole section is becoming a bit of a mess. Like many others, I’ve run into the whole null exception error and managed to cobble together a hack-ey solution that worked for a few minutes until I copied another line of code which lead to another issue.

Normally I assume I must have missed something, rewatch the video, google around check the QnA on the lecture and find either I have done something wrong or something has been updated/changed since the lecture but in this case so many of us are facing the same issue I have to find fault with the lecture itself.

Really this whole section from the Timer lecture on has become a bit of a mess. It covers some massively important topics like arrays, lists, scriptable objects, for loops, etc yet nothing is being clearly explained it just feels like it is hopping around all over the place and I’ve found myself copying down instead of understanding. I really feel like some more time, examples and use cases for these topics would be hugely helpful.

I normally find GameDev.tv to be pretty clear and also concise but this section is a bit of a black mark for me. I’m sure many are following along just fine but I can see from the Q&A and topics here that I’m not alone in finding this section difficult to follow.

4 Likes

I assume you are talking about the quiz game, and yes it feels as if it isn’t properly explained according to you and many others, including me as well when I took the 2D Unity course. The best option is to skip to Tilevania, which is taught by Rick. Tilevania is a very thoroughly taught out section and you can jump right in as it is probably less advanced compared to the quiz master. Once you are done with tilevania you should be ready to take the quiz master.

1 Like

Yup, I agree, but like I said before tilevania is perfect for somebody who isn’t quite ready for the quiz game which goes at a fast pace for sure.

I agree, the whole 2D course was pretty smooth and clear until I get to the timer thing. It it where booleans start to pop and be checked everywhere between Timer and Quiz scripts. Mixing conditions and “complex” boolean logics makes this course miss the point of making the student understanding what he is currently doing. I personally started to fear so when I saw the instructor adding “if” in “if”, and started copy paste code. There are multiple time where the course make us write code without explaining the logic of what we want to achieve first.

Thanks for pointing it out Simon, because I was starting to think that the problem was on my side :smiley:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms