High resolution texture peeking through a problem?

So I’m doing manually retopology. I personally think it’s fun, but then, one thing I like about 3D modeling is the nitpicky super detail oriented things. I have mental health issues, and I find it VERY relaxing and meditative, just like the sculpting itself.

I might be a little high poly right now, but my plan is to get it finished, then see if there’s any superfluous edge loops that can be removed. In the tutorial, Grant mentions to keep the new mesh above the other such that there’s no peek through. This isn’t a problem at all with the main body, but my textures are such that I can’t always line up my vertices to land on a “high point”, and still make sense for flow. This leaves some of the warts and wrinkles peaking through a little in places. Will this be a problem later?

If no, I could probably reduce the poly count dramatically. If yes, I have ideas for what to do once the mesh is done, and still be able to likely reduce the poly count. Just trying to decide which idea to plan for.

Example:

1 Like

No it is not a problem, certainly not the tiny amount shown in your image.
You do not want big things sticking through, like an entire ear, lol.
When you get to the baking there are parameters that ‘look’ inside and out effectively, to check for what is to be baked. The less outside or inside away from the low poly mesh it is just less distance needed to ‘look’ for the baking process. The problem of having to ‘look’ a long way is things like chins and chests can get close and it looks too far and puts chin details on the upper chest. Well makes a mess basically.

Good that you enjoy proper manual retopology I find it fun and easy too.

1 Like

Awesome. Sounds like i should be able to simplify my mesh some as well then. I know it’s not perfect, but I’m just going off what i remember for this project in particular. Will look up some other topology tutorials for the next big one! Or to edit this later, to improve areas like the face and limbs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms