Hey all - I'm still going through this series but

have you considered adding a small section for this on how to import and use these objects in UE5? I’ve been learning both Blender and UE5 from the bundle you sold but it would be cool to add an addendum in how to import these textures and 3D objects INTO Unreal Engine for use in a game (especailly as the blender and unreal courses were sold as one)

3 Likes

That thing would be really needed (in every course or as a separate course). There were many people asking for it for years now…

The thing is… that’s hard. One, because the courses would really need to focus on making really good game ready asset - which is more advanced topic (it maybe can be done, but it’s more challenging). Even a few things that popped to mind with regards to environment course: no UVs for rock and trees, decimating trees to get to lower poly or having ~2M height of door (measuring stuff for limited FOV is important). Addressing all those things (like doing retopology for a tree or a rock) would probably make the course twice as long… and would make the course way less engaging (some stuff is not as exciting - like making measurements, planning naming convention, planning how your whole pipeline will look like). Plus some of this things are dependent on what kind of game you are making (e.g., you want to have ~2.4m height doors for FPP game, but for top down it doesn’t matter as long as your character and enemies fit through it).

Don’t take me wrong, this doesn’t mean that the course is bad (most courses I’ve seen are doing similar simplifications) - it might be even great when you are just starting out. It’s just really adds complexity. (TBH I personally dislike very much that subtitle and description say about game ready assets so much - it’s thin line the description is dancing on).

Another thing is… Why unreal and not unity? If unreal and unity, why not godot and o3de? The pipelines differ for each of those. There are of course similarities, but when making such a course - one would have to consider that most students would be interested mostly in their engine of choice, so all of those sections would have to repeat much of the material (or be even harder to make from the perspective of structuring the course).

Third… all the engines (at least I know that for sure unity and unreal do) have their own docs and training material on how to import data from various software’s.

Recently I’ve been brainstorming with another student on what a separate course on importing data from Blender to 1 engine (unreal) would have to cover… It’s a lot (like probably 30h+ of course material). And we probably missed a lot of things. After that discussion I went and searched for a course like that (including other sites - from general ones, to very 3d specialized like CGMA or Gnomon) - there is very little to find (read: I didn’t find anything, but I might have missed something).

/rant over

To be more helpful with your current needs. For Unreal it’s actually quite easy do migrate static mesh data. There is one plugin that’s Epic’s official one. Here is playlist tutorial for it: Blender Tools - Send to Unreal | Unreal Engine - YouTube . The other way is to the unofficial plugin: https://github.com/xavier150/Blender-For-UnrealEngine-Addons . I used both and can recommend both. Now I use more of the unofficial ones as it allows for batch exporting and I figured out how to script it out.

Oooor… third method is to just export each object (they need to be in the center of the scene for unreal) as separate fbx files and just drag and drop them to the content browser in unreal. Some fiddling with export and import options might be required (but can’t help with it on top of my head, haven’t done manual import for a long time).

As a side note, as this is something that’s not obvious with first import: you will need to recreate materials on the game engine side. Shaders are not compatible between different rendering engines. Plugins sometimes help and can set up some materials for you (or even engine can do it)… but only for very, very simple materials.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

It does get asked a few times a year. But as Boban has so excellently described it is not straightforward to make a whole course on, let alone add it to any other course. There would have to be courses for several different engines too. Because it gets asked about occasionally and has not been done, you can reasonably conclude it is not viable to add or do.

2 Likes

I appreciate the indepth reply. I suppose I was more or less looking for a small addendum so to speak rather than a straight up course. I mean even just a small “Here - we made this Low Poly Castle scene - lets do a quick import into UE5 so we can work through some potential challenges you may face when using your own assets” (like say…textures not carrying over …making sure when the meshes are imported they’re broken down into their own static mesh - maybe quickly adding collision etc.) I mean it doesn’t necessarily have to be as indepth as say…going into what to use depending on the game type etc. Could just be more of a step in the right direction / getting you started so to speak.

I dont know hopefully I’m making sense lol.

Ill have a look at the plugins you mention - thanks for those!!

2 Likes

not sure if this forum works where you get notifications for other users responding but please see above :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It does make sense. And I understand what you are asking… and I’m not against the idea (I’m one of those people nagging gdtv about such stuff). They could try doing ‘small section’ about it. They tried it already (in Character course).

It’s not easy still though - and most of the points I said above stays (e.g., some of the things you are making in the course are NOT game ready assets… which engine they should do this addendum? etc etc)… plus more (like the fact that Grant is ‘pure’ artist, and AFAIK he don’t know any game engine - so they would have to find another instructor to do it).

1 Like

@bOBaN ,@NP5 in the old course version(s), Michael did some small lessons on import stuff into a game engine. It that completely removed from the current version(s)? If so, than an option would be to explore older lessons?

1 Like

I didn’t see any of that in the new course. I know that Mike in his courses (independent from :leaf: ) do that, but just for Godot. Looking at the old course content is a good idea, though some things probably changed a lot now. I would say the best bet atm is to just learn this skill independently from the course from YT (e.g., for unreal could be this playlist I linked before https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZlv_N0_O1gZfQaN9qXynWllL7bzX8H3t ).

2 Likes

The one in 2016, was a very big course. Including SFX, import in Game Engine, etc.
GameDev now, is creating smaller bite size courses. One for SFX, Character, Sculpting etc.
Better manageble.

1 Like

Yeah… I liked the old way better… though I’m probably in minority here…

1 Like

I agree! It was the first course I took, in the good 2.7 version course, because it had a lot of hours of lectures and covered a good range. Not even noticing the gamedev name of the company it was not relevant.

Youth today, attention span of a goldfish. :joy: :older_man:t2:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms