Here is my polar bear :)

The difference between the two is the activation of “depth of field” on one, and deactivated on the other.
The bear is too blurry with the depth of field, but too “clean” without it.

I would be glad for any advice on how to use better the depth of field or how to improve this “visibility” (too clean / too blurry).

Thank you for this great class !!

10 Likes

Great Polar Bear out for a summer woodland stroll!

Depth of field, Tick the depth of field box and select the target for the focus with the eye dropper, or from the object list dropdown.
However, it uses the origin point and if your depth is set to very shallow the key face of the bear may be some way from that.

One way is to add an empty as the focus target. Then place that on the bear’s nose!
Then you also want to play with the f- stop to ensure all the bits you want are included in focus.

Alternatively, you can measure the distance of the point of focus from the camera and enter it as a distance but that is probably more fiddly.

5 Likes

Oh, thank you NP5 ! These are a lot of good tricks to test. Thank you for the “Empty”, I didn’t think about it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice polar bear on a forest :grinning:. I like the fur color and arrangement. Nice work with the grass and background too! NP5’s advice is great for resolving the issues you mentioned.
Amazing job and have fun!

2 Likes

Thank you Chris!

For the fur color, I tried to simulate “real” polar bears : the skin is pure black, then, there is a coat of white and very short fur, and on top of that, a second layer of the visible long white fur.

I put dedicated particle systems for the ears, and another for the eyelids.
The head has a less dense fur, with enough low density at the front to give the “black and white” look (I spent quite some time to find the right equilibrium of density for around the nose).

2 Likes

here is an update with a better undercoat fur, a better length for the neck and a toundra environment!

3 Likes

Looks amazing in the new environment :heart_eyes: :star_struck:. Awesome job.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms