Help with rigging a different kind of stem joint

I know I was probably going to get in trouble when I decided to try a different lamp design but I guess this is good for learning too!

Hopefuly someone here can… shed some light on the issue :smirk:

So this is my lamp. As you can see in the image below, instead of using a ball as a joint my lamp uses a ‘side to side’ wood strip.

So when creating the armature I came across a problem that I tried to illustrate in the image below. Since the wood strips or stems are not aligned, how should I create the bones here to avoid problems later when animating while having an accurate rotation of the pieces?

Here’s what I would do. Create an extra bone for each offset joint and lock it in place on all axes. This is what I did for my slightly-offset ball joint. In the screencap, I exaggerated the offsets to make it easier to see the bones. Yours will be much, much smaller. There may be another way to offset bones, but I have not yet found it.

1 Like

Hey thanks a lot for lending a hand! :slight_smile:

I’m trying that at the moment and my lamp is not responding well after that. I mean it changed to a weird pose and if I rotate the view it seems that the light cone is following my point of view around. Maybe if I try rebuilding my armature again from scratch I can make it work.

It worked!
So I tried following your advice parenting the bones from scratch and apparently it’s working, at least to a basic degree when I rotate the bones, and the movement seems fine.

lamp_rig_test

Thanks again :smiley:

2 Likes

Good deal! I almost went with an atypical design, myself, so I am glad to see one working out.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms