Help with P-47 Mesh

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but I need some help.
I’m not very far into the course so It may be answered later but I was just trying to work on my own models and I’ve run into some trouble with getting the mesh to look right.

Is there anyway to have the vertices radiate outward from the center? Or the ability to move them on a certain axis like this:

Here’s some pics.

Here’s what I want the mesh to look like: I want it to curve smoothly but instead it just ends up looking all jagged and messy.

Here’s a picture of someone elses model but it shows the way I want my mesh to look, the problem is I don’t know how to get it that way.

As you can see, the mesh flows smoothly across the model, how do I accomplish this?

1 Like

Hi @Brock!
The plane is not the easiest model, you know)
everyone’s approaches are different and we choose what we like most but I want to show this …
and a few clarifications

• never model from a single mesh
  • so on the initial stage, catch the desired shape
  • main form - hull, start with her

the wings can then be sewn to the body when the form is ready, small details are the last

it was a big problem, model from one mesh. Try to make a house out of one mesh and then from different ones - especially if the models intersect (windows, wood, pipe, etc.)

Or the classic version from BlenderGuru)

1 Like

Ok so a few questions here.

1. Having the vertices radiate from the centre. Not sure exactly what you mean so hopefully these two explanations could help you out.

In orthographic mode, get your basic shape by placing a vertex and then pressing Ctrl+right-click to place another. Then you can extrude along and use proportional editing to pull vertices out en masse in the desired curve. (Hotkey: O) then choose the correct curve type.

Also you can scale out and press Shift+X to exclude the X axis or Shift+Y to exclude the Y axis.

1. Smooth shading could be what you’re looking for the have the mesh all smooth. Auto Smooth then can be checked in the Vertex panel to the right (The triangular icon). Adjust the angle of the smooth until you’re satisfied.

2. Smooth vertex can be find in the toolbar to the left in edit mode. If you find your vertices are jutting out a little too far, this can be useful or if you have an edge loop, you can slide the edge loop back and forth until it smooths out as much as you want by pressing GG like a double-click.

But certainly if you want vertices running all along your plane then you should use proportional editing, select the curve type that best suits your needs and then use the scrollwheel to adjust the influence of the proportional edit then press S and shift+Y to exclude the Y axis and it’ll scale all the vertices in a nice curve.

Hope that helps

Privacy & Terms