Help! Why my objects started to stuck together in object mode?

Hello!

I am trying to deal with the Snapping lesson in Udemy, which must help me build a little island with houses on it and a lighthouse.

I am stuck…but there is another problem!

I tried to repeat the steps from positioning the Lighthouse on one side of the island and positioning the houses on the opposite, to explore better the Origins movement, etc. When I opened my file and turned the Lighthouse visible, then tried to scale it down/make it smaller, it started to affect all of the other objects…i.e. I scale the Lighthouse, but the rocks and the plane/water also scale down with it… I could scale the lighthouse in Edit Mode, and it was impossible to edit only it in Object Mode What have I done?

I started to put the houses on the rock, to do the snapping instructions of the lesson. Two of them somehow stuck together. I can move one of them without moving the other. What did I do?

So, I returned to the file where everything was kind of “normal”, this is how it looks (on the applied image, down there). I can’t see the origins, and the houses are on the verge of “satisfyingly positioned”. I will continue with that. But I am curious why I can’t recreate all the positioning and snapping using the previous file, and why the objects stuck with each other…

I feel so dumb, and that is not a very pleasant sensation! LOL

1 Like

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give FULL screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.
The screenshot can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

If I could have seen the full screenshot I expect that you have proportional editing on.
Circle like icon top middle of the menu car.

The origins may have disappeared by being turned off in the overlays dropdown.
Or just all the overlays turned off as I see no grid or axes either. Overlays button right hand side top menu bar.

2 Likes

That makes sense to me too. I’ve highlighted the buttons:

• In red, Proportional Editing should be turned off unless it’s actively being used for something. Proportional Editing can cause all sorts of wonky problems otherwise =)
  • In green, the Overlays should be turned on unless you’re trying to eliminate distractions to get a better look at your scene.

Because the backup file works fine, I think NP5 is probably right vs. my idea, but I’ll describe it anyway just in case (as you will likely run into this problem eventually anyway. I still do!).

The first place my mind went is that you may have added some of these meshes in Edit Mode instead of in Object Mode. It’s a very common mistake to make in the beginning; when a mesh is added to the scene this way, it becomes part of whatever Object you’re working on, instead of its own distinct Object. Fortunately, this is also very quick and easy to fix.

As a quick test, if you look in your Outliner, you should be able to identify each part of your scene by a name:

• The lighthouse
  • The rock
  • The water
  • Each individual house

These are all distinct Objects. If anything appears to be missing, click through each item in the Outliner and see what it selects in the Viewport; you’re looking for anything that selects multiple different meshes at the same time (for example, two different houses).

If you find a combined Object like that, separate the meshes with these steps:

• Select the problem Object and enter Edit Mode
  • L to select Linked Topology. This will select all topology that belongs to a single mesh
  • P–>Selection to seParate the selection into its own object.
  • You should now see something new in the Outliner; you will probably want to rename it accordingly.

Doing just fine. Learning any new software always comes with growing pains like these :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you all, for the help!

Just for information: The problem starts when I try to recreate step by step Lection number “16. Snaping” in Complete Blender Creator: Learn 3D Modelling for Beginners! I also noticed that the Snap menu is different, which is logical for an obvious reason, which is my fault.

I remember that adding meshes in Edit mode merge the existing meshes. But I will check if I had done that mistake. Thank you! I think maybe this is the problem!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms