Help! My game is not looping properly

cud_s03_organise_state_files

I am confused – I tried to follow the directions but somehow I must have gotten messed up – when trying to run my game, it doesn’t loop properly. I just keep getting this error:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.UI;
public class AdventureGame : MonoBehaviour
{

[SerializeField]
Text textComponent;
[SerializeField]
State startingState;

State state;

// Use this for initialization
void Start()
{
    state = startingState;
    textComponent.text = state.GetStateStory();

}

// Update is called once per frame
void Update()
{
    ManageState();
}

private void ManageState()
{
    var nextStates = state.GetNextStates();
    if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Alpha1))
    {
        state = nextStates[0];
    }
    else if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Alpha2))
    {
        state = nextStates[1];
    }
    else if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Alpha3))
    {
        state = nextStates[2];
    }
    textComponent.text = state.GetStateStory();
}

}

If I had to bet this is not a problem with the code but an issue with Unity. You probably forgot to assign back in Unity the “Text Component” or the “Starting State” instance (better called reference).

Capture

Do you have 3 nextStates set on each of your States? I went with 2 to simplify things at this stage. See below.
EDIT: Ignore Action Text, Header Text and Image. That’s just bits I’ve added on as a personal challenge.

private void ManageState()
{
    var nextStates = state.GetNextStates();

if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Alpha1) || Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Keypad1))
    {
        state = nextStates[0];
    }
    else if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Alpha2) || Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Keypad2))
    {
        state = nextStates[1];
    }
}

Hey Horusofoz,

I followed the instructions according to what the instructor said because I didn’t want to take a chance on being messed up later on since I don’t know what he is going to have us do later.

I was actually working on it again last night and now I got it working (crossing fingers). I don’t remember exactly what it was that fixed it – I just went through it again state by state and making sure my states were leading to where I designated them to go according to my flow sheet.

Thanks for your help

My text component is the same as yours “Story Text.” My StartingState is the Introduction to the Game like he has to create.

As far as I know, it is working now after having gone back through last night state by state making sure that each one was going to where it was supposed to go on flow sheet.

Thanks