Help! Fix Unwrap Stretching Castle

First off, thank you for this amazing course. This format is just amazing.
My issue is at the UV unwrapping part where we’re trying to make the turret rectangle be cut out… I made the seam go all the way to the inner lip at the top, as shown, but I still get this with my unwrap! What should I do? Should I not make two seams to cut out the rectangles?

1 Like

That lower left big part is begging not to go up and over the top but be divided, inside and outside, either could have the top ledge attached to it.
The Merlons are boxes really and need marking like they were so the corners can open rather than stretch. Think of a cube net.

Quick simple example.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for the quick reply. In general, is there any harm in having more seams?

1 Like

Particularly in this texture painted work, none at all. ‘Theoretically’ you could separate every face. The painting is done on the 3D model, the info is recorded onto the UV map, and assembled onto the model automagically.
Practically speaking though no one does. There are times when it can be better to paint on the 2D UV lay out. So contiguous walls etc. are just better, more practical. Sometimes the 3D painting can be a bit glitchy and you can paint on the 2D.

Just better practice to make the minimum reasonably required and to have them where they are least noticeable, should for some reason you ever switch to a photographic image texture, not a hand painted one. That is when matching across seams really matters.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense about the realistic textures

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms