Help Changing Movement

I Am Progressing through the RPG course and was wondering if anyone could help me, or point me in the right direction if i wanted to change to WASD for movement solely for movement. but actions is still to click( other than able to move on click)

Any help would be Appreciated.

The RPG course is definitely geared towards click to move. We are currently producing a course on Third Person (WASD) movement. When the course is completed, I will be creating an integration guide to help students incorporate Nathan’s 3rd person statemachine into the RPG course. You can get early access to the Third Person course on our Courses page.

I have already did ofc, I support and get every course. I did try to use some of the code on how movement works but couldn’t, above my skills to incorporate it already in something with the click to move.

I Wanted just WASD movement and I already have rotation and zoom in my game(I implemented free look camera) and follows along.

I know the principle of what needs done after following Nathan’s course, Its just as we dont have the movement implemented to begin with, its not the most straight forward to intergrate(well for me atleast)

The reason I want to implement it in this course as i still want the click to do actions even to attack(so no fancy ARPG) attack, Just the movement changed.

But i appreciate it Brian your always the best help.

Hey @LaniganDev you can take a look at tutorial Using NavMesh to create a character controller in Unity | Mini-tutorial - YouTube . I spent about 45min chaning my code with that one and it sort of works. The basic idea is to change from a mouse Raycast to an input raycast on the NavMesh ( your MoveTo target will alaways be the nearest point around your player) .

Issues ive encounterd with this approach

• you will need to chagne how your animator works (it should be similar to how it works in the 3rd person course)

• you will need to change how you interact with the world (target selection / items / etc). If for example you will use a gamepad for movement , you will need some sort of sphere cast / collider for detecting targets and add them to a list (again, similar to the 3rd person course)

• good news - you no longer need to worry about the cursor since you will do the checks automatically (ex: if you press left on your gamepad and the navmesh doesnt alow it - it will return false and stop you)

I would also suggest if you want to make any major changes - USE SOURCE CONTROL :smile: . Plastic SCM or at least duplicate the script to not mess up the existing one.

Privacy & Terms