Hearing Based on Velocity

I went a little different. I added a noise component, and made it make noise based on the velocity of the character. I figure this way in the future we can have the guards hear us if we move too quickly, but not if we creep.

Slight augmentation. I am now using the vector length rather than just the X component of the vector.

I had a similar idea… how much noise should be based on the magnitude of the velocity from the character falling… (I didn’t tackle simple move noise yet, but probably next, and at a lower scale).

I experimented, and found that the Velocity magnitude of a jump was around 500, and the magnitude of a leap from the staircase top was about 1000… so I used that as my “max Range” pin after multiplying it by 3… so a simple jump would wind up being heard about 15 meters away… and a leap from the stairtop would wind up being heard about 30 meters away…

Then for fun, I divided the velocity by 500 and converted to Int… effectively giving you a “over 500” and “under 500”. I then used a selector to decide to play a relatively quiet “thud” sound effect, or a more meaty one.

Privacy & Terms