HDRI Sphere is black and reflections are black

In my shader view the first sphere is completely black and when I make an object reflective by turning down the roughness it goes completely black. How do I make the first sphere the default scenery so that my objects have a reflection. Thank you.

1 Like

In general:
There is a BIG difference in using Cycles or Eevee!
Your viewport uses a simple configured Eevee version.

You problem:
In your viewport right bottom corner, you see two disks (spheres).
A black (environmental bitmap) and a white (diffuse lighting) information gizmos.

The black one is your environmental image, reflected onto/by your own objects.
Your object shows black because the environmental map is black. So it’s working!

Did you change somethĂŻng in the configuration?

1 Like

I just realised that this is a bug in the 2.93.3 update and that their fixing it.

1 Like

OK, press F12 and render then?

The only way that the reflections show in the shader is by bringing up the metallic (don’t know if you have to) but either way the render doesn’t show the reflections

1 Like

Strange, this bug also in render. Are you using Eevee or Cycles?

I had this same issue, metallic slider doesn’t work right out the gate with eevee. You need to mess around in shader with nodes to get the right material to look like metal. Also make sure your plane is a darker color and reflective, roughness about .2 to .3 and refraction turned on in render properties.

1 Like

Ah something we should note, a bug like that well done finding out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms