Have you used as save system before?

If so did you build it and how did it work?

Coming over from Godot, i used an extremely simple save system that wrote inside a .dat file. i just put the variables to be saved inside a dictionary, and JSON stored / stringified this in the file. kinda worked for basic statistics in a small 2D top-down game made for a game jam.

What becomes more complex is then reloading data by whatever the player did in a level. I think i had to change how the saving occurred inside a level after the player altered the game state by exploiting the game mechanics (i.e., OnPicked up a special object).

I gotta say that the whole saving stuff is fun though.

3 Likes

Glad you asked Sam.

I have used and developed many ways to save data.

NOT for gaming tho… data — in which we had tables of data with many properties

This is exactly why I would very much like that list of possibilities for RPG games that have questing involved.

What data is basic to RPG and Quest like games?

Do you have a matrix or excel worksheet with this information broke down to properties? (ie, name string and data type)… this should be a large list I would think broke down into categories…

For me data and saving state is known very early on during development of any system game or DB…

If anyone has such a matrix I would really be thankful if you posted it…

Thanks

The biggest difference between the sort of saving you’re used to (I write and maintain Access databases myself at work, DATA IS KING) and what we’re doing here is that there are so many different systems in place that rather than focusing on a big picture of the data (just trust me, it’s a big nasty tree, I got started on it and realized just how massive it is. I simply don’t have time to create this list, It’s better to let the components manage what data they need. By making each component responsible for it’s own data storage (via CaptureState and RestoreState) our Saving System does not care in the slightest what data we’re saving. It takes the data it’s presented and puts it in the Dictionary.

1 Like

I built it myself, something similar to the system that you use here I believe, it has been a while. I had a versioning system built in that I used to prevent the error with the saved version not being the same, it also did not have default saving of the last scene.

With the versioning system if the version was older i just did not set the data or set the data with default values.

The down side of the system that I used was the way I saved the data to the file if I removed something then the data did not line up correctly, and caused some errors.

Privacy & Terms