Haunted Mansion Setup

So I wanted to make a creepy Victorian mansion for my project here, slow going so far, only one detailed piece.

Starting Setup.

Mirror at the end of hallway.

And one quick question, no matter what I seem to do it will not let me dissolve the highlighted edges above. Is there some rule about dissolving edges I don’t know about? I wanted the edges above to be one solid edge loop if possible but those edges disconnect it…

8 Likes

Very good change from the usual dungeon!

If you built it modularly the edges are in separate objects or are even linked duplicates and can not be joined at a vertex level. If I understand the situation correctly.

1 Like

Yes, you can’t. Blender doesn’t allow you to have a flat face with a hole in it, without at least one diagonal edge in it.

A good mesh is built around quad faces. These are aces with only four vertices. Faces with many vertices, get you in trouble. Especially when adding the subdivision modifier.

1 Like

That was exactly my problem! Now that I know that I can work through it rather than furiously trying to dissolve those edges. I couldn’t find the right way to google that question so thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was actually trying to dissolve the edges on the face of the individual piece. I just didn’t know that was impossible, thanks for trying to help. I’m looking forward to having to making my own pieces from scratch rather than copying the lesson, I hope what’s in my imagination transfers to Blender without a ton of hassle.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms