Harkul Island Got A Makover

I have spent the last 2 days experimenting and learning a lot about level design and I really wanted to remake the first level I made for Attack On Harkul, so here is the result (scroll down for some pictures).
It is in no way a finished terrain, but the knowledge I gained by making this, is invaluable.

(Unpainted terrain)

(Top view with ocean rendered)

3 Likes

WOW! I didn’t half expect this when I saw the title!

Thank you, I am very happy that you liked it so much : )

1 Like

That sky and water look super. Is the water a free asset or paid ?
I experimented with a terrain using the free assets shared it here recently it was real fun making it.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment, glad you like it : )
Both the sky and the ocean system are free.

I got the skybox from this and I just matched the lighting to fit the mood.

This is the ocean system I used to make this, called Crest. Incredible job and gets updated up to this day too. There are versions for URP and HDRP in the Asset store too, the free one targets the built-in render pipeline, which still looks amazing in my opinion.

Last but not least, I gave some details using Unity’s Terrain Tools, which give you a wide range of new brushes.

Also, I remember playing your level, you have done an amazing work with it, especially with sounds!

Thanks for the info about the assets…will certainly check out the ocean. I too used a bit of the those new terrain tool brushes on mine but there’s so much to learn just with the basics. Ditto for using the built in renderer as the water from standard assets just didnt like the new render pipelines when I tried it with them and also had trouble with a tree asset as well if I recall right.
Glad you liked my attempt at a terrain.

I agree that there are lots of things to learn, but I believe it is not necessarily bad to know what we can do at a later stage, maybe experiment a little bit, it motivates me.

What problems did you run into when you used the tree asset?
And speaking about assets, there is a cool fantasy bundle on a huge sale over at the Asset Store. We might not be able to use everything right now, but it has some incredible tools and assets that we can use later: Bundle

Oh yea experimenting is one of the best ways to learn. Regarding the tree it just didnt appear to render correct , there were issues with the materials and also one of them I recall had weird issues when you moved away or got closer . Once I used them with the inbuilt renderer things were just fine so thats what I am going to stick with.
Btw I checked out that ocean water asset but sadly the free one on github doesnt support webgl it seems so I wont be able to do web builds if I use it which is a deal breaker for me.
Thanks for the tip on the bundle will check it out though I doubt I can do anything with them currently hehehe.

What a shame about the ocean asset…maybe this will work out for you, but it was updated a year and a half ago. I did not have the time to play with the other pipelines, but yeah, a lot of free assets only support the built-in one.

Well the bundle is a pretty good deal, but if you do not see yourself using them anytime soon, then yeah, maybe it is not worth it that much. But you never know, better to pay 90% less for them and have to use them once in a tight situation, rather than paying full price hehe

This is awesome. I tried out their demo scene and it works great with the inbuilt renderer and the webgl build.
Thanks for finding and sharing this.
out_293-650

1 Like

Glad you like it! Seems pretty good, have fun with it : )

I love it, nice work.

Thanks John, appreciated : )

Privacy & Terms