Great Course

Props to you, CM, this is an amazing course. Very well-structured and quite easy to follow

A few things here and there that I personally like doing differently, but then pretty much everything else is on point and aligns quite well with other gamedevtv practices. I still think it’d be better practice to serialize certain variables for the whole class rather than defining them in Update functions and I believe this to be the most glaring issue I took notice of.

The course starts a bit slow, which is great for beginner+ students, but when working on the grid system you kind of go on into your usual rapid way of doing things :stuck_out_tongue: . Neither good, nor bad, but I personally was able to follow it along just fine while also understanding the things you were doing. Aside from a few moments that had me review the code again to fully understand the functionality

Overall I was excited about implementing the grid and pathfinding so I’m super satisfied with the course as those sections are very well-made

PS Also, this course made me really want to play X-Com, lul

2 Likes

I agree ! loving this course it’s really exiting. These games are totally awesome. XCOM Enemy Within, XCOM2 War of The Chosen and Pheonix Point made by the Original Creator of XCOM Julian Gollop.

Been an XCOM fan for many years.

2 Likes

If you like XCom 2 I recommend War Hammer 40K - Chaos Gate Daemonhunters. It’s exactly the same type of game but it has some changes that make it more dynamic (your troops are very strong, there’s no random chance to miss a shot, and quite a lot of talents and equipment extend your mobility).
One word of warning: I found the random events to be quite annoying and am taking a break from the game since it decided to randomly kill my sniper built character that I was quite fond of! :cry:

1 Like

That is why i like Pheonix Point. It has a very interesting body part shooting at system. I got Total War 2 Warhammer but just couldn’t get into it. I’m really fussy.

I think Gloomhaven would be a perfect term based strategy game if it wasn’t so ridiculously hard. Thats to someone who completed both latest XCOM games. I think XCOM 2 on anything more than easy is impossible.

1 Like

Into The Breach is a wonderful TBS game and it’s in Pixel Art.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! I’m glad you enjoyed the course!

Yup always remember that in game development/programming there is never just one universal truth, there’s always millions of ways of solving the same problem so the fact that you noticed some things you would prefer to do differently is an excellent thing, means you are actively engaged and learning! Congrats!

Now that I’m done with the course I can’t wait to get back to playing some games, I stopped playing my War of the Chosen campaign midway, really want to finish that.
And I still have Phoenix Point and Gears Tactics on my to-play list!

5 Likes

Privacy & Terms