Great course! Expansion ideas

First off, this was an amazing course. My very first game idea I attempted without following tutorials was a turn based tactics game very similar to the final result of this course. It… did not go well :slight_smile:

The emphasis on clean code principles, modular systems, and extensible design really opened my eyes to what is possible and gave me so many notes on clean code principles. It’s going to take some practice before everything we’ve gone over becomes second nature to me, but I can honestly say that so many coding principles that once made me nervous or instantly confused me (like delegates…) have made so, so much more sense after following along in this course and studying the code. I also picked up Code Complete 2 btw, and I’m looking forward to furthering my education.

My suggestions for further expansions would be:

1. Pathfinding and unit movement area selection taking into account movement cost for each node. I assume this would also need to factor in some sort of level editor, since we don’t currently have a way to set individual node values… but idk.

2. Utilizing the Y axis in pathfinding. Getting on top of buildings, going up stairs, jumping down, etc. I commented on your Youtube video announcing this course with a similar question, and you had mentioned you had solved for this in your modular building video where you built multiple story houses like in Valheim. I’m going to check out that video and the source code for that project, but curious to see how you would implement it here.

I’m honestly super excited to try to solve for both of these items myself, and to modify the existing code in other ways to really make it my own. Thank you again!

1 Like

Yup those clean code principles become more and more natural the more code you write. Eventually it gets to the point where it’s natural to write good clean code even when making some super quick prototype.
Code Complete 2 is awesome, it definitely helped me a massive amount. It’s a pretty heavy book but stick with it!

Multiple elevations is indeed one of the main things I want to cover in an update, it should be pretty simple, just multiple GridSystems for each “level”, the tricky part is handling the connection between them.

I’m glad you liked the course! Thanks!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms