Grease Pencil to 3D

I am back to this class after several months and Blender has updated the grease pencil and it is not as straightforward as before. I wound up having to make my lamp sketch in two grease pencil layers and then joining the objects together. The end effect is the same but the ease of use of the grease pencil is not exactly the same. Is there a good source for the updated grease pencil operation that anyone can recommend?

2 Likes

Welcome back.

There is some odd nonsense with the grease pencil in latest updates where you need to turn on auto keying for it to work.
Though to me the entire bit in the course using the GP is pointless.

1 Like

Ok. Good to know. Thanks.
I suspect that introducing GP for this simple mock-up is for sketching out more complicated scenes. I’m not sure. I agree it seems a bit much for the lesson. Thanks for letting me know about the auto keying.

1 Like

For this I would search the web, Find Blender artist who specialize in 2D (there are).
Grease pencil has nothing to do with 3D, except it is a 2D drawing plane in a 3D world.
Personally I really like Grease Pencil, but because I like 3D more. I have no real use for Grease pencil in a 3D environment.

1 Like

I never did this course part. But I can concur, it’s a strange side path in the animated lamp chapter.
It has no relation to the end product, a jumping lamp.

I would say leave it out. And spend a new chapter on this Grease pencil tool. Because there is much more to it, than drawing some lines, in the shape of a lamp. And it would perfectly fit into the 2D Game Art drawing lessons, also here on Game Dev. Or with the GIMP course, where 2D animation is explained very well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms