Gravity

I thought I would ask on this one as the default Unity settings are -9.8 in y for earth Gravity but everything as the challenge states falls slow.

So my question is is it sensible to change this setting when its a Unity Default or should we do something else?

Kurt

If memory serves, i upped the gravity to 100 in the end,…others managed it with less of an increase (or decrease :P).
It’s about trying to find a balance between things falling in the world, and things being pushed back up again from the water. As you move through the challenges and tweak things I was back and forth a few times trying to tweak the gravity and the water force.

1 Like

Hey @Kurt_Frary, it’s absolutely fine to mess around with the gravity scale and is quite common if you want to uniformly affect everything in the scene.
-9.81 may be the “realistic” value but games will often break with reality to make the experience feel better.

If you don’t want to affect everything in the scene in the same way then you could also opt to apply specific gravity rules to different objects under certain conditions. For instance, you may want to mess with the gravity of your player during a jump to give them a nicer feeling of “hang time”.

There’s really no “right” way to do things and you can play around with how your world works as much as you like. The only important thing is that you deliver the player experience you want.

2 Likes

Thanks Gary and @Morgan for the advice

Kurt

1 Like

Privacy & Terms