Grasping the Basics

It looks like a pattern is emerging in that people are as you say not finding discord easily in all courses and thats an issue.

I’m not saying that the issue, but if students are on the forum, and rather than search for existing answers to questions, only to then traverse to Discord and ask the question there, that seems a bit backwards… I wouldn’t imagine that is the main volume of users though, some may, but I would imagine if a user was already on the forum, if they are searching for Discord it would be to compliment the platforms they might use. As opposed to a linear step from here to there to ask a question. I would find it a bit odd that someone would travel from a platform where they could either search for an existing answer, or, start a new question, only to then travel else where to do so.

It may be that having it in the greeting/announcements as most people dont fully read them as they are too eager to get on with the course.

Generally I was say the message gets across in the videos… for example, look at the thousands of replies that donkey thread got… ironically, where that behaviour would have been useful would have been for the “go say hello”, so instead of creating thousands of individual “hello” topics, they were contained in one…

The forums are linked in each lecture so maybe part of the issue is there that we are not promoting discord enough or in the right places.

I am getting a little confused with the argument for the wiki here Marc, you are now suggesting that you don’t promote Discord enough, surely, based on the argument for creating the wiki, the issue was that too many questions were being asked - if you promote Discord even more, you’ll just risk increasing your existing issue.

That to me would be the indication here that people want real time help but are having trouble locating the discord server to get it?

For me this has long been a moot point. There is the assumption that people want real time help, but actually, this was initiated through one student who raised it, then a non-official version formed, then there was the feeling that it would have to be created in order to keep it official.

I’m sure people would always choose the “if I can get an answer quicker that’s great” option, but that said, someone had real time support from me on the Q&A yesterday and then took almost an hour to respond to me, yet I was sitting there waiting for the next response to come it - so, how exactly is the desire for real time support being measured, because one person asked for it, once? I would be surprised if anyone posts on the forum or the Q&A and expects to get an answer immediately, although often their expectations are exceeded because you will see responses like, “thanks for such a prompt response”, so I’m not fully convinced that everyone wants/needs/requires it personally.

For those that do, I would also ask, what have they don’t to help themselves? Much more will be learnt by finding out things for themselves rather than being spoon fed, but how many people who are asking the same old questions have actually done anything more than “oh, it doesn’t work, I’ll go ask for help”? The answers after all are in the courses themselves, if these are followed, with the appropriate versions of the software, then actually, the end results should be the same. So, going back through the relevant lecture could be a first step etc etc.

What Format?
Who to keep it update?
And where to host it if wikipedia does not allow the control we like (Again not used it other than to view!)

There are I believe a lot more questions than only those, and with regards to wikipedia, my previous reference to it was more around the control of the publication, the editorial process, reviewing content, management of content, the consistent format in which it is displayed, not because I was suggesting it as a tool. Goodness me, the thing this place needs, in my opinion, is another place to browse to…

One of the reasons i originally mention this is because of the

…because of the? Keeping me in suspense here… :slight_smile:

the amount of repeating questions has to come from a source, be it the student not paying attention or the lecture needing a check to be reviewed.
The gathering of the information was originally for that purpose to find out if the issues are with the understanding level of the lecture and if it needs looking at.

(Sorry got distracted!)

be it the student not paying attention

You will never be able to resolve that to a degree where a student doesn’t post a question, here, on Discord, on Facebook or <insert any other platform of your choice here>.

The gathering of the information was originally for that purpose to find out if the issues are with the understanding level of the lecture and if it needs looking at.

It would be some work, but, potentially if the team are concerned about this, they could consider using one of the survey sites (Survey Monkey for example) and run an announcement and then add a link in a few specific areas of a course for feedback from the student after they have completed it. Ideally you’d want the survey to be unique to the lecture, so it would be a fair bit of work create individual survey for every section, but as a pilot, a few select areas could be canvassed with only a few surveys. That way you would be integrating the feedback mechanism into the course, rather on the one of the separate platforms.

For example, if you ask here, then you may only get a small percentage of people, as eventually your topic will no longer be in the Latest view so people won’t see it (without a bit of looking). You might also then want to consider linking to it from the Facebook group(s) and Discord also, but I’m not sure how much value you will get from a post that asks fairly generically. If the team went the survey route, then potentially you could focus questions based on the content of that lecture - like the Quizzes.

(Sorry got distracted!)

Like this? :wink:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms