Got halfway there, but ultimately failed

I struggled with this, unfortunately. I decided that I wanted to clear the screen after the level was chosen so the player is working with a clean slate that is just asking for the password. That worked great but I couldn’t figure out how to accept the user input for the passwords. Tried a couple different things, none of them worked. Finally watched the video after about an hour of trying and realized I was way off and would probably not have figured it out on my own. Not really sure how all of this is going for me…

1 Like

Don’t get discouraged. This is a common experience. Whenever you’re using tools written by somebody else, there’s the learning curve of using their tools (in this case, the Terminal). The terminal class was written by Ben and is not part of the normal Unity toolset, they provided it as a starting point so they could show you the basics. As the course goes along, Ben and Rick are going to put some links to Unity’s online docs for the classes, functions, and features they’ll be showing you. I strongly urge you to follow those links and learn as much as you can about the various classes as you go. At a certain point, before you know it, you’ll start to see the relationships between the code and action, and the relationships between the different classes. At some point you’ll just be doing, and you won’t even realize you’ve crossed that learning curve.

Success shouldn’t be measured by whether or not you can pass the challenges.

The biggest gains to be had is in doing what you did - take the problem, think of how you might be able to solve it, and giving it a go. That’s the real reason the challenges exist. You will not always get it or get it right, but keep going with that approach and you will learn it.

If once you get through the solution video and you still feel lost as to why it worked, that would be a good moment to pause and/or practice more before continuing.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I’m definitely going to see this through, I’m just a little frustrated because this is my second attempt at programming. I started the original course, sailed through the text adventure section and was able to use what I learned to create my own program for an escape room I ran on Halloween. Then I got to the Number Wizard section and I was totally stymied even after watching it twice and reading the docs. I found tabletop design extremely rewarding and am finding this to be…less so. But I’m going to stick with it and hopefully things will become a tad more clear.

Just stick with it! You’ll be surprised when you look back, just remember not to compare yourself to other people, compare yourself to what you couldn’t do before. I look at coding a lot like learning an instrument, first, you’ll play Ode to Joy, then work your way past Canon. Keep it up!

1 Like

it is impossible for me not to get discoured because lots of people creating topic about how easy is the challenge for them and how they get everything about 5 minutes. I have been trying so hard for last 3 weeks to understand the basic princibles but still cant put a simple variable for a basic challange. I am litterally stuck in swamp. Sadly, i am about to give up but lets see if my brain suddenly starts to work

Trust me, I know what you’re going through. It’s been almost a year since I started this thread and I was looking back on my posts about not giving up, sticking with it, etc. Ultimately, though, I abandoned it about 8 months ago and gave up :frowning_face: I just didn’t grasp it the way others did and was struggling with every little thing. It was a dream to make games but I think maybe my brain just doesn’t work the way it needs to in order to do it successfully so I moved on. Hopefully you’ll be able to make sense of it in a way that I couldn’t. If not, there are also other avenues you could explore like visual scripting with Playmaker in Unity or something similar. That was a whole lot easier but I was too discouraged from not grasping the coding to continue on with any of it. I wish you the best of luck!

Privacy & Terms