Goof up in video?

@Michael_Bridges when comparing the two pawns at time code 3:18 to 3:45 you are looking at their Local coordinates and have not applied the scale to the Bishop Placeholder. This would render the comparison pointless.

Well spotted! thanks for catching that! I shall re-record it and make the point of highlighting the difference between Local and Global whilst I am at it

1 Like

@Capricas_Kirito I went back and watched the segment, and noticed that the Location did have “Local” selected. But, being new to all this, what’s the difference? I’m guessing if they were compared in the global space there would be no way to compare the two values since their offsets are different? Or maybe that would only happen once the scale is applied. Not quite sure.

The primary difference is where the reference point is. When working in Global Space the world’s origin (0, 0, 0) is used for the reference point, when working in Local Space however, the object’s origin is used for the reference point. Since the distance for locations are measured from from the reference it is important to use the correct space for comparisons. In this instance however, the coplication was that the scale was not applied. This means that when compared based on local space the two objects would always show as aligned no matter where they are located in relation to each other or what the size difference is. As far as the system is concerned, both objects were the same size and the points compared were located the same distance from the reference point.

Privacy & Terms