Globe for videogame @ Global Game Jam

Since the example used in this section was a model of Earth, I wanted to share with you a globe I made for the videogame my team created at this year’s Global Game Jam, made before getting to this lecture.
This model is not a whole UV sphere, but is actually a UV sphere divided in 8 parts because it was one of the enigmas you had to solve in the game, basically it’s a “Rubik’s Sphere”. The most challenging part was the UV mapping because I had to do the it for each part of the sphere separately, making sure the texture was aligned with the ones of the other parts. I found it very difficult because I had never done that before and I was the only 3D artist in the team; surely watching this lecture before would have save me a lot of time!

mappamondo%20texture%202

Here is a wireframe view of the globe, I made it hollow inside because we added a key you obtain once you solve the enigma.

You can see the divisions better here in this screenshot from Unity, hope you like it!

mappamondo%20unity

5 Likes

Smooth shading may works little better)
Your model have enougth polygons for nice and shiny surface, of course with smooth and sharp edges

1 Like

Yeah I try that but it was looking weird around the edges that separate each part (you can see it in the picture below) so I chose flat shading to make it look whole, I wasn’t really a fan of smooth shading this time, and I had little time to adjust it :joy:
I actually didn’t think about adding sharp edges at that time so thank you, I’ll keep that in mind for the future! :smile:

mappamondo%20smooth

Privacy & Terms