GetWorld() pointer to incomplete class type not allowed

On lines 40-45 in my TankAIController.cpp it has this:

ATank* ATankAIController::GetPlayerTank() const
{
	auto PlayerPawn = GetWorld()->GetFirstPlayerController()->GetPawn();
	if (!PlayerPawn) { return nullptr; }
	return Cast<ATank>(PlayerPawn);
}

Then, under GetWorld() it says error E0393, “pointer to incomplete class type not allowed”. Any help?

I just checked, and now line 68 in the TankPlayerController.cpp has the error under GetWorld().

Just a side note, it still compiles just fine.

Just another effect of IWYU – you’ll need to add

#include “Engine/World.h”

into your header to make IntelliSense recognize it

3 Likes

Pasting #include "Engine/World.h" into TankAIController.h does not fix it. On the contrary, it starts making

UCLASS()
class BATTLETANK_API ATankAIController : public AAIController
{
	GENERATED_BODY()

the GENERATED_BODY() on line 16 in my TankAIController.h have an error as well.

That should go away when you switch over to “forward declarations” a little later in BattleTank; for now, at least IntelliSense will now be able to path through GetWorld()-> to suggest member functions. I share your frustration though. That GENERATED_BODY() red squiggly ought not to cause any actual compile errors though.

#include “Engine/World.h”

worked for me Thanks :metal:t3: :metal:t3:

1 Like

Include:
#include “Components/ActorComponent.h”
Because you may be using UWorld *UActorComponent::GetWorld()
and for intellisense it requires UActorComponent: header.

1 Like

I am getting the same error too, it compiles just fine but now I need to make the AI tank aim at my Tank so the GetPlayerTank dosent works properly , any suggestion how you fixed it

It’s been so long, I don’t remember. I don’t think I got that far in the course. Did you try including #include “Components/ActorComponent.h”? If that doesn’t work, you could try #include “Engine/World.h” or both.

#include “GameFramework/PlayerController.h”
Is also needed as your calling it…

The Code editor will show error on GetWorld but you have to include the stuff you are calling for the editor to know.

GetWorld()->GetFirstPlayerController()->GetPawn()

As you are calling it here…

Privacy & Terms