Geometry count

Hi,
I’m new to Blender and this course. A query -
After using the Bevel tool to create the pawn base in Lecture 68, the geometry count was as follows -
Vertices: 608
Edges: 1184
Faces: 578
Triangles: 1212

And when we try the alternative to Bevel, using the Subdivision Modifier with View setting to 2, we have -
Vertices: 838
Faces: 833
Triangles: 1666

So does this mean that in terms of performance, the Bevel tool is better because the pawn base created has (overall) lesser geometry than when its created using the Subdivision modifier?
What would be the advantage of using the modifier approach then?

1 Like

There just are no right or wrong answers to this sort of thing. It depends. On the specific item and what it needs. Bevels are real geometry and specifically placed. Sub div is all over an object. But it is not ‘real’ only mathematically generated. On the whole I would not use a subdiv on anything but an organic shape.

2 Likes

Performance can be an issue, but then we are talking about millions of vertices and not thousands of vertices. Also, the performance issue is quite discussable. Of course, we want everything done within a split second. But it is more about efficiency. More vertices, means more data to control and manage. More memory, more to calculate, more to maintain. It is good to understand the importance of it, but it also depends on your end goal. Stills, visualizations or 120fps games, or 30fps animations.

Low poly works best for studying the Blender basics. With that, you can create more high poly objects. And know when to add more poly details and when not to do it.
For the pawn base keep it simple, low poly. Focus on learning Blender techniques.

2 Likes

I’d forgotten to mention that my purpose for this course is to learn to create 3D models to be used in mobile games. So I was focussing on the performance aspect primarily.
As you point out - the difference in vertices is less than a few thousands … nowhere near millions. So I’ll experiment with the various techniques and see which works best overall.
~Thanks

1 Like

Interesting!

You should focus on Eevee then, more game-related rendering.
And yes, using low poly and present them as if they were high poly.
Have fun, show us your progress.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms