Genre & Video Game Types Challenge

The following is my summary of the video game types and genres of those listed in the challenge:

StarCraft
StarCraft falls under the strategy category, and the real-time strategy sub-category. Being a strategy game, it uses a top-down camera that views the area from above so that the player can control their units effectively. The game does have a strong story and setting, and the gameplay utilises this by having three factions that have different units and abilities. The game was most likely produced for hardcore gamers, and certainly produced some with the competitive multiplayer following it garnered.

DOTA 2
DOTA 2 also falls under the strategy category, and is real-time but falls under the MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) sub-genre. Notably this is playable only online (although I think you can play by yourself). The player controls a Hero that can gain experience and level up during the match, so some RPG elements are used here. This game is definitely focused on the hardcore gamers, and even has professional competitions that are watched by millions of people.

The Witness
The Witness falls under the adventure game category, due to its focus on exploration and puzzle solving. It obviously falls under the puzzle sub-genre, with over 500 puzzles in the game, and solving them is the definite focus. The game is experienced in the first person, and is single player only. The game seems to be accessible to both casual and hardcore gamers. A casual gamer who likes puzzles could play it occasionally and solve a few puzzles at a time, while a hardcore gamer might challenge themselves to solve them all.

Minecraft
Minecraft doesn’t particularly fit well under any of the four main categories listed in the lecture (Action, Adventure, RPG and Strategy), the closest one being Adventure due to the exploration element. An open-world game seems the best fit, as the player is free to move around the game area however they want, with no restrictions due to story or skill level. Open-world could be considered a genre all on its own, or a sub-genre of one of the others, depending on how you define genres and sub-genres. Minecraft is unique in that the game doesn’t have a goal or something that the player is supposed to achieve, but rather the player decides how they want to play. A friend of mine once compared it to being given a whole box of Lego, and you can build what you like.
It’s first person, and can be played locally or online. I see it as more aimed towards the casual gamer, since it has no definite goal, but you’d be amazed at what some people have created in it, and you can bet it took them a lot of time!

3 Likes

Good work man. I agree with your descriptions.

Starcraft: Having played starcraft before, I know that it falls under the strategy category. Also actions and decisions are made in real-time against CPU or Real players, in order to accomplish the mission of (typically) destroying the other forces’ main base. In the original Starcraft I remember there being unique characteristics to each type of force the player could choose to control, however mostly from a design and movement perspective. All groups had similar character types; ranging from very affordable standard troops up to large harvesting/resource buildings and mobile vehicles.

DOTA2: Never played this, however in videos of gameplay I’ve watched and in searching what the game is about it appears to be focused on Strategy in an Arena format (as a matter of fact Starcraft seems like it can also be categorized as “arena” like). However it takes elements of the Action genre because each player on each time individually controls the actions of whichever ‘Hero’ they have chosen to inhabit.

The Witness: A first-person puzzle solving action game, The Witness retains elements of an action adventure game since the player is able to wander about the world and can willingly choose how they move about it so long as the puzzles are solved.

Minecraft: Minecraft at its core is really just an open adventure game, but with being able to construct and harvest resources it has elements of an RPG, and thanks to the extremely active community has been proven to have aspects of puzzle games as well. Really players have taken minecraft and given it elements of a first person shooter action game, a first person puzzle game, a first person adventure game, etc. Of all the ones on this list, I believe minecraft is the game that overlaps the most between categories.

I’ve only played StarCraft, but here are my descriptions:

StarCraft is a real-time strategy game that can be played online. In this game, players mine resources, build structures and units, command units and destroy enemies. It also involves exploring the map to see what obstacles await. These elements lead me to believe that it may also be a 4X game, though I haven’t seen a lot of sources that classify it as such.

DOTA 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena in which players collect experience points and items. It is also part action since the player can directly control a hero character. To win, the hero and his teammates have to destroy other team’s Ancient

The Witness is a puzzle/adventure game similar to Myst, which I have played. The player explores the world and solves puzzles. However, they must first figure out the rules of each puzzle.

Minecraft is mostly a building sandbox game, but it has elements of adventure. The player can explore the world, gather resources, craft items, and fight enemies in addition to building structures.

• Starcraft 2
    Twitchy RTS, Strategy game

• Dota 2
    MOBA, borrows from the RTS genre in terms of UI but more actionable and granular. Spawned from the RTS genre, so no surprises there (wc3 battle.net ftw)

• The Witness
    An action game, mostly involving puzzles and an exploratory adventure game.

• Minecraft
    Heavily influenced by RPG genres using elements like health, experience. Open world sandbox, might even call it a simulation. It’s also an action game because the agency lies directly with the player AS the avatar.

Privacy & Terms