General concern doing S02 as a C++ noob

Hi there,

As I’ve stated in the title, I’m a complete beginner to C++ and I’m concerned about how I’m going through section 2 of the lessons and am wondering if this is normal/okay, or if should I look into other supplementary info.

A bit of a brief background, I’m an artist looking to expand my horizons with some C++ knowledge to use in game development someday. So far, the S02 lessons fly by relatively fast with new terms and techniques being brought in, I feel like I’m kind of getting used to what every new term means the more I use it or am exposed to it. I tried doing the first challenges in the section, then after failing for 10+ minutes, I continued on to see the solution. That was going okay. After attempting a few more of the video challenges, I grew more frustrated with not exactly knowing how to successfully solve them, feeling like I didn’t have all the information to solve it. So I’ve been skipping the challenges altogether and getting the solution to move on with the lesson.

My specific concern is: if I don’t do the challenges on my own and just carry on with the lessons as is, will I not be in a good place at the end of the section compared to other beginners? Is this fine or should I seek other methods of learning?

In the meantime, I’ll trudge along (for lack of a better expression).

Thanks!

They do a really good job of supplying supplemental info on the trickier topics they cover-- Various links etc. I recommend taking a second if you don’t quite understand the topic, to follow them and strengthen your understanding if needed.

http://www.cplusplus.com/
is one of my personal favorite sites. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Yeah, you really should spend as much time as you need on the challenges. and use as much googling as you need. This is a language, so you need to be able to know how to manipulate it for these challenges so that you can take on bigger challenges. Languages aren’t a linear progression that ends with mastery

2 Likes

Yeah, since then I’ve been taking more time to do the challenges. I guess the ones I was getting frustrated on were tougher for me. I’ll bring up any questions in the Q&A area in the future. Thanks!

Privacy & Terms