Gate/Portal System

Lecture 3_sm_rpg

I’m working on figuring out my portal scripts and have come up with this structure

Mindmap for how it works

expected(theorized) Dependancy chart

realizing that this system can’t be fully implemented until the Questing system is added leads me to wonder, Will this, or something like this, be covered in a future lecture? Or, should I keep trudging through figuring it out now?

PS do you realize we can’t tag threads to specific lectures? Is that intentional?

@sampattuzzi

I’m afraid I can’t quite work out how this is meant to work. Maybe a usecase would help?

As for tags, we have been experimenting with them being hierarchical so you need to select the section before you add the specific tag. But this seems to be more of a pain than anything.

The basic concept is to set up a location where the player would choose a destination region from a list of possibilities and then choose 1 of 3 gates/portals based on where he wanted to go in that region.

Example:
I want to travel from my home to another region of the US (say New York) and don’t want to drive. Instead, I go to the Airport and buy a ticket which allows me to board 1 of 3 planes, each of which will take me to an airport in the vicinity of my destination (1 goes to NYC, 1 to Albany, and 1 to Syracuse). The ticket is good on all three planes and I would choose which to take at time of boarding.

In terms of the game:

• the NPC is the ticket agent at the boarding gate
    • controls the activation/deactivation of the gate and sets the “Regional Destination”.
    • can only activate the gates a limited number of times per day (game time)
  • The Gates represent the planes
    • connect with a portal/spawn point in the destination region at runtime.
      • 1 could connect to the start point or to where the player spawned the first time they entered the region
      • 1 to the midway point or where they faced a minor boss
      • and the third to the end-point just outside where the player faces the final boss for the region.
    • If more than 3 spawn points are available in the destination then at least one of the gates would pick its destination at random.
    • Gates have a duration and the player must pick the gate he wants to use within a limited time frame as the gates will deactivate at the end of their duration.
1 Like

@sampattuzzi Chasing on this one

@Capricas_Kirito After you add the RPG tag like you have you can add a second tag which you can type the UVR (Unique Video Reference) in. It was a little confusing at first when Sam explained it but it makes sense once you know how it works :slight_smile:

As this is a month past now i wonder have you worked on this since and which direction did you take?

From reading this now it sounds similar to what a game rappelz had which was an NPC portaller that transported you to a specific location in the world. Each time there was a loading screen for the portal so in a sense what we do with our fader.
I cant see why not with some extra work and coding that this should not be attainable at some level with the system with have or with any questing system as it from what i think it would just be the linking of a dialogue system to the existing portal system

I have done quite a bit of refactoring from my original code with this as I ended up deciding that I was trying to make it overly complicated. I still have a few issues to work out but I think most of them will be solved as I progress through both the RPG and the CUD 3D courses.

For those interested, here is a link to my Portal and Portal Guardian scripts as they stand for the moment on Github

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms