Garden Defenders

Finally, I’m finished with this section. This took longer than expected, but it was worth it as I got to learn new skills whilst developing the game. Without wasting any more time, I guess I’ll be moving on to the new course now.

In-game screenshots:
GD_01

GD_02

GD_03

GD_04

I hope you guys enjoy the game :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

not working good
i cant place anything

Sorry about that. I’m working on creating a short intro or tutorial to show players what the game is all about (should have done that prior to release but I was just too lazy to do so).
For now, to place defenders, you’ll have to click on the corresponding button located at the bottom of the GUI. Once highlighted, you’ll be able to place them (also each tile is highlighted to indicate where you can place them).
Again, sorry for the trouble.

The pixel art is gorgeous, really, really good art and animation.

I did notice some bugs, enemies keep spawning even after the “You win” message appears, you might want to fix that because it might cause really unexpected behaviour.

Now unto the game design department:

• The game felt way too easy.
  • Add a button to the “You win” message to load the next level, don’t make it automatic, you don’t know if the player is ready to play the next level.
  • The flowers give way too much energy: after a few seconds with only 3 flowers I can literally fill the board.
  • When the beaver appeared I thought it was just a tanky version of the birds, it never cross my mind that the beaver had the ability to jump over rocks, I know they do because I saw it by pure chance, but the design and the ability do not match.
    • I suggest giving the bird the ability to fly over rocks instead, it makes more sense and the player might get the idea even if you don’t tell.
  • Something I never liked about this type of games, Is there any reason to have a grid where you can’t place any plants to defend? It’s really confusing as to where I can or cannot place plants, I even thought at some point that the game bugged out.
  • Why does one of the plants cost 108? That’s absurdly specific.

Overall your game works, there’s still some code to be fixed, the game is way too easy for my taste and the art is stunning. Great job!

1 Like

Thanks, yee, for the awesome feedback.
I’ll try fixing up the game a bit to make it more enjoyable.
Your first complaint about the attackers spawing even after the “You win” screen, was something I noticed an thought I had fixed earlier because during my play testing I wasn’t able to still notice the absurd behaviour.
Anyway, I’ll try seeing what I can do. Thanks, again.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms