Games Within a Game / Multiple Game Types (in one core game)

Heya!

What I’m wondering:
Is this concept even possible using something like : SceneManager.LoadScene

I wish to create a game with 3 “layers” of gameplay:

Layer 3 - (2D/2.5D) Each character is introduced via their own game type - Simple space shmup, top down shooter, simple farm simulator, etc… I think of these as simple scenes loaded from the core of the game or “Layer 2”. You play through these smaller levels before being returned to the core adventure game each time where the primary story progression occurs… as such these are just “one offs” but themselves are complete experiences delivering some story progression.

Layer 2 - (2.5D) The “core” of the game - a side scrolling adventure/point and click type game that allows you to solve puzzles and enter into the other game types of Layer 3. You play a lead character who explores this core game and at times must load one off scenes mentioned above as “Layer 3”…

Layer 1 - (3D) End of the game, final layer, smallest part of the game where you “wake up” into the actual world of the character you’ve been playing. This isn’t required so much as desired and also included to ask how feasible it is to switch from 2D to 3D via scene management?

TL;DR :
Is it even possible to load completely different game types from within a core game? If I want to go from a point and click adventure to a mini game to unlock a door to then load a space shmup and then return to the initial point and click with progression of new dialogue / ability to save the fact that I loaded a “second layer scene”… is this a silly dream or does it sound like something I could pull off with enough time investment?

Thanks for any response.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms