Gamepad not triggering animation

Hello! I am currently taking the Unity 2D Course and I’m in the TileVania section, specifically just finished chapter 94. Everything is going well functionally, however, I notice that when I use my Xbox gamepad and climb up a ladder, the Climbing animation isn’t triggering. It works perfectly on my keyboard: when I press the W or Up Arrow, the climbing animation plays as intended. On my gamepad though, I still move up the ladder vertically, but I’m stuck in the running animation. This is a bit annoying to me because of how often I use my gamepad, but the game works “better” on my keyboard. Any idea what could be causing this? Thank you!

Hi Knedi,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

You could test what was suggested on this website. Maybe read as of “When to use Controls Schemes with the new Input System in Unity?”.

Also please feel free to ask our helpful community of students for further advice over on our Discord chat server.

See also:

Hey Nina,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I think I found a solution and in doing so found another issue. In Rick’s series, there were only transitions from Climbing to Idling and from Idling to Running. Adding in some transitions from Climbing to Running helped make it play the animation while I’m on my gamepad.

However, it is somewhat glitchy, and I think it’s because the millisecond I stop pressing input on my gamepad while on a ladder, it switches away from the Climbing animation. Is there a way to make it so after I stop pressing input on my gamepad, it gives a few seconds before switching back to Running/Idling, so the animation doesn’t look so quick/glitchy?

Thanks!

Check your transitions in the Animator and make sure the “Transition Duration” is set to 0.

It might also be a good idea to build your game and test your build because the game window in Unity is just a laggy preview. There is a chance that the glitches are caused by the editor.

Privacy & Terms