GameDev.tv VR FAQs

What headset(s) do I need for the VR course?

Our Unity VR course is designed to be taken with a Google Cardboard as a minimum hardware requirement. You could take the course with no headset at all, however you will get a lot more from the course with at least a Cardboard.

Got a Gear VR? No problem, you can take the entire course with this. If you have a Samsung Gear VR, there is no need for a Google Cardboard too.

Got an Oculus Rift? The course already supports Oculus Rift for one project, and once you’ve learnt how to use it you can convert the other projects.

To suggest, and keep track of the progress of other VR devices our voting page.

In the meantime you can enjoy the course without, and covert your projects later.

What spec does my computer need to be to take VR Course?

You need a GTX970 desktop class graphics card as a minimum.

For the Oculus, for example, you need…

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290 or better.
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 or greater.
RAM: 8GB or more.
Video port: HDMI 1.3.
USB port: 2 USB 3.0 ports.
Windows 7 SP1 or newer.  

Can I take the VR course on a PC?

You sure can!

The course can be taken on a Mac or PC, as long as it’s capable of running Unity.

The only restriction with a PC is you won’t be able to deploy apps to an iOS device.

Is it possible to only use an Oculus Rift (and skip the Google Cardboard requirement)?

Yes it is.

We teach you to set up the Oculus Rift before we come across any Cardboard specific content. The only section that relies on Google Cardboard is “Squashy Toad” so you can use your knowledge of the Rift to use that instead and skip the Cardboard specific lectures.

What course should I take after VR?

So you are now a master of VR and would like to expand your epic skills still further. Kudos to you!

The answer depends on your goals. If you want to expand your knowledge of Unity you might want to check out our awesome Complete Unity Developer.

If you are sick of Unity and want to make a lateral move to apply your knowledge to a new game engine, take a look at the epic (pun intended!) Unreal Course.

For those interested in 3D modelling, our Blender course is the place to go.

You can see all our courses here.

Regards

Ben & Sam

Privacy & Terms