Game Looping Problem

Just recently moved my projects onto my new laptop and now wondering if I should just start over instead. I am having issues already. My old laptop could not handle Unity anymore apparently. It would just freeze a lot when I got to this project so I’m not even sure if my latest work on it was saved properly before moving it to this new laptop. On top of that, I am using a slightly higher version of Unity than what I was using on the old laptop. Some things look different making it more difficult for me to figure out what is wrong. I was using version 2018.2.21f1 on the old computer and am using version 2018.4.15f1 on the new one. One of the things that look different is the options for adjusting the terrain. There are 7 tool buttons on the older version and only 4 on the new version. My terrain has been needing some adjusting unless it is too late to do that. My ship goes right through some of my terrain objects because I made some things too high to start with. I had already tried adjusting the waypoints and that did not help with that.

Besides that issue, my current problem is that for some reason when I start the game it will play a couple of seconds and continue repeating the same thing music and all. My ship never even reaches an enemy. This just started either with this lecture or the previous lecture. A couple of lectures before this one I had had an issue with getting the message to show up in the console that lets us know when we hit something but I was able to fix that one.

I don’t know what screen shots to add to this to help figure this out. It’s hard to show the fact that it constantly repeats the same section when trying to run it. If I need to show screen shots of code, I can do that or my settings in Unity – whatever will help.

Hi Penny. That’s a strange set of problems. As for the terrain changes I recommend watching Lesson #78. Terrain and later Unity versions. As for the other issues, the only thing I can think of is to possibly delete your Library folder and let Unity recompile it. My best guess is that Unity didn’t like the fact that you moved the project and updated the version all in 1 step instead of 2.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Thanks. Lesson 78 did help fix the terrain problem and deleting the library helped fixed the other issue. I have a new issue but I think it is probably supposed to happen. My controls freeze almost immediately and I am unable to operate the ship. I’m guessing my ship is colliding with the terrain right away. I tweaked on it some and it did delay it by a couple of seconds. I also have a new error message but saying that
" UnassignedReferenceException: The variable deathFX of CollisionHandler has not been assigned.
You probably need to assign the deathFX variable of the CollisionHandler script in the inspector.
CollisionHandler.OnTriggerEnter (UnityEngine.Collider other) (at Assets/Scripts/CollisionHandler.cs:14)"

I got to go back to the last lecture I had done to see if Ben addressed this yet.

Thanks so much for your help.

How are you getting on with this, @PennyC99? Did you find a solution in the videos? If not, please let me know which problem is not solved yet.

It is working fine now. I did get the “controls frozen” message again a little while ago after moving my enemy ships around for some reason but I checked the inspector and somehow one of my enemies did not have “spawned at runtime” in the parent field like the other enemies did. Once I added that in, it worked fine.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms