Game design patterns and game programming design patterns

Hello GameDev community!

I’m here to ask for your insight about a “Game design patterns and game programming design patterns” course. As i have a little programming background and zero knowledge in design a software/game, a course abouse this theme would be very important to me. You can vote or comment this idea here

Right now I’m reading “The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses” but I’m not sure if this the right way to go. If someone could offer me some guidance, it would be very helpful!

This is my go-to book on the topic: http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/

2 Likes

I was going to pick up a copy of this a little while ago, but it, along with any others to do with game design/development at that level all seem to be ridiculously expensive. How would you recommend this book @ninjachimp on a scale of 1-10?

Edit

Actually, this wasn’t the ridiculously expensive one! My bad… £25 is reasonable I think… I have seen a few others that are £40-£60!

I genuinely regard it as the single best reference on game design patterns available, and the entire book is available for free on the site if you want to check it out before you buy it, so… I’d have to say 10 :slight_smile: I bought the Kindle version.

I spotted this after posting… and subsequently updating my post… lol… it’s very good of the author to offer a free version on his website… especially as it’s the entire book content!

Thanks for sharing the info :slight_smile:

Edit

@ninjachimp - I have added this to the following Wiki

1 Like

I got the game programming patterns book too, and it seems pretty comprehensive. Haven’t had a chance to read it in depth yet, though, but I’m glad I got it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not often you find a technical book that you can read, for pleasure, in one sitting. The author did a great job on it.

Privacy & Terms