Galactic Defender

Wow, I learned a lot from this course! Here’s my game if you want to check it out. Happy to hear any feedback/recommendations :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Congratulations on your game :partying_face:

1 Like

Loved it! The art is cute and I love the color palette. I’m eternally jealous of people who can make their own art :exploding_head:
Personally, I’d love to be able to see how many waves there are. Also I felt the waves were switching a little to quickly. Maybe if there was a system where you make sure the player has defeated enough enemies in a wave before the next wave is launched. For example, after the player has shot 5 enemies from one wave, they can “advance” to the next wave. As it is, I felt like the difficulty was increasing before I had the chance to get used to the current level of difficulty… If that makes sense ahah :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for playing and your feedback/comments! I followed the pixel art 2D course from GameDevTv that helped me get the ball rolling for pixel art :smiley:
As for the waves, they go on indefinitely ahaha. I tried to make it harder as you go by decreasing the time between waves the longer you played. I think I definitely have to go back a modify and balance it better after though!

2 Likes

The art is great and the game works perfectly, nice job in those regards, now onto the tricky game design part of your game.

One thing I don’t like about these games, not yours specifically, but this type of projects, is that if you are good at dodging bullets, and believe me there are people that can dodge almost anything, there’s no real reason to fire or destroy enemies other than increasing the score that serves no purpose, so, What’s the point of getting in front of an enemy that will shoot you back? What’s the point of risking your precious health? There’s none.

There are many ways to solve this issue, like not being able to progress unless the player destroys all the enemies, or simply by making a final boss that the player has to destroy, but those might be a little hard to pull off if you are a beginner or simply are out of the scope of this project, so, I think I have a nice solution that uses the systems you already implemented.

Make an item spawn when the player reaches a certain amount of points, like every 1000 points or so, it’s a cheap trick because it doesn’t really solve anything I mentioned because you are not forcing the player into the desired action, but encouraging it to destroy enemies, which might be better than forcing.

3 Likes

I lasted until wave 8. Good job!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for giving it a play, and taking the time to give me some really useful feedback!

This was one of my beginner projects, but I feel a lot more experienced now to go back and make touch ups :slight_smile: I like the suggestions you had!

Right now I have a set path for the enemies to follow and they disappear once they get to the end of the path. If I wanted to implement your first suggestion, maybe I could just make them go back and fourth on the same path until they are all defeated to progress to the next wave? (Edit: or maybe modify all the paths so the that they end up at the start point again and it loops until all enemies are gone).

Would love to know your thoughts!

Thanks again for your comments/feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could totally do that, you could also teleport them to the start of the path after they reach the end, this could make things simpler for you and maybe even could look better because having them move back and forth might look a little bit weird, and the ships would collide with each other at some point in the path.

If you want to put yourself to the test you could have more than one path per wave. When a ship finishes one path it teleports to the start of the next path, which could make your game feel more varied and less predictable.

1 Like

Those are really good ideas! Thanks so much again for your feedback and advice, it’s greatly appreciated!

1 Like

A very good game.

I am also jealous of people who can do a good level design as I am not good at it. :grin: :grin:
I am more into programming.

1 Like

I liked your game, the highest wave I manage to reach is the 17th.

Arts (colours and sprites) are very cute, clean and pleasant to watch (awesome job!) and I liked the addition of missiles and shields!

1 Like

Hi, I played your game and I think it is really great. The shield and the missiles are very cool :slight_smile: The only tip I have is that the sound of dying enemies is too loud.
I hope I can upload my game as well, you definitely motivate me to do so :slight_smile: thanks a lot!

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a play! Yeah, I might have to adjust the sound settings. In the future too I’ll look into adding settings to adjust the music volume + and sound effects volume.

I’m glad it motivated you to upload yours as well! Seeing other people work motivated me too :slight_smile: If you want someone to give it a play and give feedback, let me know :smiley:

1 Like

Looks very nice and ez to play, you even build an levelup system.

I made the player able to lv up by defeating enemies with increasingly more difficult waves and a end boss.

If you do not keep up the pressure you could fall behind

Amazing game, I first thought you used some art pack that’s how good I thought it was :smiley:

Also really liked the look and feel of the rockets you shoot with the power up and the shield also looked you cool with awesome sound effects when it got hit.

You have a real attention to detail when it comes to sound and graphics :ok_hand:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms