Gaining confidence thanks to these courses :D

PlaceholderTest
I’m on the last project in the Unity 2D course and when I got to the episode on projectiles, I decided to give it a shot myself without watching the video, because I’d already done this kind of thing for TileVania and even on spawners in my snowboarding game and delivery driver game, too. So I thought I would do the instantiating myself and then watch the video, but then I was on a roll, and I implemented all of this stuff completely independently. I am so super proud of myself and so grateful to the instructors for these courses. I feel confident now that I can enter the Brackeys Game Jam this month and build something small in a few days, on my own. I feel seriously empowered by these courses and I can’t thank you guys enough.

1 Like

Great work @Maya_Carter!
I love all the different weapon types you’ve added and to have done it all on your own without the videos is awesome :slight_smile:
Game jams are a great way to test your skills and help highlight areas of development that you need to focus on next, so I wish you the very best of luck.

1 Like

Thank you, Gary! I really appreciate your instruction. It was interesting to watch the video after and see how our methods differed. For example, in my version, instead of having the bullets destroy themselves after a set amount of time, I put despawners at the head and tail of the level, that are just edge colliders with a script on them to destroy anything that passes through. I had to modify some of the scripts to allow for the behavior I wanted from my bullets, like that yellow sniper bullet so that DamageDealer wouldn’t destroy it right away and it would keep hitting enemies until it had done the maximum damage it could.
SniperBullet
I also added one more bullet, and this one I’m really proud of. It also broke my script because originally I had told the bullet script to send “Player Bullets” up, and everything else down, but for the exploding bullets, I wanted the shrapnel to fly in all directions. That was the toughest one to implement by far. First I tried to draw the circle with a nested for loop, but that kept creating shrapnel grids. Finally I understood the problem would require some light trig, and after much frustration and understanding that Mathf.Sin was taking an input in radians, not degrees, I finally got that one working, too.
ExplodingBullet

1 Like

Haha, yeah, working in radians can take some getting used to!
As a next step, I’d recommend looking into object pooling for your bullets.
This is great for games with a lot of objects that need to be instantiated/destroyed, as these operations can be quite expensive and can help fix any performance issues you might come across with your game.
Essentially, you pre-populate a “pool” of projectiles at the start of the level and then just turn them on or off as needed.

Keep up the great work and be sure to share your game when it’s ready for play testers :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks! I’d just heard about this recently, and you’re right. This would be a great place to try out object pooling. I’ve been posting all my games in the course so far to itch, and I’m excited to be able to share this one, too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well it looks like that feeling of confidence wasn’t for nothing! :smiley: my submission to the Brackeys Game Jam ranked #72 overall! I am ecstatic. I was not expecting to get in the top 100 on my first jam. It was also the best experience ever. I don’t think I’ve ever had more fun than I did the week of Brackeys Jam. The final result is also the best game I’ve built so far, and in the shortest amount of time! It's Not Real, Ya Hear?! by Maya Carter

1 Like

Privacy & Terms