Frustrated

Hi, I follow along with the lessons - rewinding and replaying a lot. Then Mike says something that makes me think I must be deaf or something. In the generated texture lesson he says, “we know it’s a texture coordinate” and I don’t remember ever hearing about texture coordinates before. How do we know it’s a textured coordinate? What lesson was that in?

I was trying to find answers in the Q&A by doing a search on texture coordinates and people are talking about needing to “unwrap” something first and I don’t remember the term ever being used. What lesson was that in?

Mike also says pick slot 3 without explaining what slot 3 is. And I don’t have a slot 3 as an option. One person who answered my earlier question that it referred to render slots but I think I must not have explained where on the screen I was referring to very well. When I select the chess board, I have slots 1 and 2 with 1 having white squares and 2 having black squares so I’m thinking these are the materials applied to the object. The surround only has 1 material so that’s probably why it only has 1 slot. So I’m confused about why Mike’s has 3 and the materials are wood, black squares and white squares. Is the board and surround one object or 2?

If I’m missing so much, I feel like I have to go back and start all over to find the missing information. Then I wonder if the information wasn’t there and I’d be hunting for something I’ll never find.

I’m not angry and this isn’t a rant. I’m just confused and feeling very frustrated.

1 Like

Here are the slots. More via the dropdown.

That whole window is the render window.
It appears when you select render image.

No idea if this helps or hinders. It explains what texture coordinates are etc.

Note the bit ‘Generated coordinates are most often used for procedural textures.’

In my real world stupidity, I try one connection then another and just see if if makes any difference, understanding under the hood can be overrated, so long as you can kick it into doing something you like. For me. :rofl:

1 Like

Something i find helps in finding things that have been said in a lecture is to use the transcript option on the udemy video.
This basically shows all the subtitles in a side panel and you can use control and F3 to search for things on that screen.

If you give the video another watch and let me know where the confusion is but i believe this would have been covered before when rendering.

1 Like

There’s some confusion. I was talking about the “slot” inthe shading workspace not the render. And I think I’ve got it figured out now. Thanks for your input

2 Likes

AH!

Screenshots always help.

It is funny, as I always use that ‘slot’ in the material properties panel on the right. Where it actually has no word label as a ‘slot’. (But is described as such in tutorials.)

Blender’s many ways of using and working with it can make confusions between users.

Sorry, You are right. This is confusing …

slot # is the materialS attached of your selected object.
The {sphere} Material is the material library of all you objects and other materials.

Have fun !

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms