From the Darkness a Shape Emerges

It took me a bit longer than I would have thought to make the basic shapes so I’m thinking I may have gone into a bit too much detail for my L-LOD assets.

While they aren’t visible at this stage, the walls actually include areas that will become windows. However, I chose not to create that material just yet as I didn’t want to get too far into the details at this stage.

I wanted to show that I didn’t just throw a cube on the grid, paint it green and call it a starting point, though based of the description I have to work with for this model that might certainly have been an valid strategy. As can be seen in the wire-frame display, there are 17 pieces that make up this model.

I chose to do the Outer Hulls as one piece (per side) because of the windows they contain. The floor is made of 10 3m x 1m Deck Plates and 1 2.2m x 1m Deck Plate (in order to keep the meshes from clashing I actually had to shorten the Deck Plate model by 0.05m for the first 10. The ceiling panel was done in one unit simply because that’s how I created the Outer Hull and was in a pattern.

While I initially created everything with the idea that it would be joined into a single mesh I realized that in the future when creating these types of building blocks I need to pay better attention to how they’re going to fit together so that I can avoid the conflicting faces problem and internal geometry that is sure to plague this project. I’m probably going to use a series of Boolean (Union) Modifiers to join all the current parts into a single mesh before I start adding the interior items. And of course, all that said, this scene isn’t meant to be viewed from outside so I’ll have to eventually create a dirty model of a human to attach the camera to. In the meantime, once I give the windows their Glass Texture, I’ll set up a camera looking in from over the ladder.

Privacy & Terms