For any other dedicated Linux users

I’m following the new version of this course on Linux.

Are there any other dedicated Linux users out there who would appreciate a guide on the different steps to take when using Unreal Engine on Linux?

I have little experience on running the Unreal Editor on Linux but I’m willing to share my experiences and solutions as I progress through this course. (I’m not going to promise any support though for when my instructtions don’t work for you)

For example: how to compile the Editor on Ubuntu, use Lutris to get the Epic Games Launcher running to be able to download assets, etc.

Please post a reply to this post if you’re interested!

4 Likes

I would love this, was really bummed they left out instructions for linux users this time around

I briefly used Linux for a short while, so I’m not really savvy with it, but that would be very handy for anyone wanting to jump off the Windows bandwagon.

Since there’s doesn’t seem to be too much interest in a Linux guide but I don’t want to leave anyone hanging, I decided to make my personal course repository publicly available for anyone to reference.

See: https://gitlab.com/bonsi/unreal-engine-cpp-developer-learn-cpp-and-make-video-games/-/blob/main/README.md#section-1-intro-setup-new-ue5-content

The first part is related to the old Unreal Engine 4 course so you can safely skip that.

Mind you, these are my personal notes for this course. I’m not going to put in any effort in to make it look pretty or check for spelling mistakes.
(I put all my course work in git repositories to track my progress, backup and for later reference.)

Enjoy and may it serve you well. Just let me know if there are any issues accessing it. I will do my best to answer any questions that might arise, but no guarantees there :wink:

My system specs for reference:

Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS running on a Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz / 64 GB RAM / GeForce RTX 2070 / SSD

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms