For animation, Unity or Blender?

I’m so new I have now just heard of Unity for the 1st time during this lecture.
My goal is to make animations, not games.
After reading a little about Unity, I am unclear about which is the best path for this (again, not games, just animation).
Could anyone offer advise for a newbie about this topic?

Thank you kindly!

I know this is an old post and you have probably found the answer already, but, Blender is an animation software and Unity is a game development software. With that I feel pretty confident to say Blender is the way to go between the two for animation.

Blender’s new EEVEE render engine suites quite well for that purpose. You can use it already even though it is beta version. Just open up your blender file in blender 2.8 and tweak your materials for EEVEE. Workflows are quite similar with Cycles, node system, etc, although in EEVEE you will need a different approach to set things right (using both a light source and environment texture, plus some tweaking with shadows etc.) imho 2.8 is quite inconvenient to work with so I do things first in 2.79 and than bring them for rendering to 2.8. It all depends what you really do want, what levels of quality etc.
Some people manage to render animations with Cycles, but that is quite problematic, you either gonna need a lot of powerful hardware, or just going to be able to render a tiny animations.

Privacy & Terms