Foot Twisting with IK

I’m having the following problem when attempting to set up the leg’s IK. After adding the IK constraint to the leg bone as demonstrated, if I move the target controller upward, constrained to the z axis, as the target controller comes close to what would be the knee joint, the foot bone starts twisting inward, pointing toward the butt. I’m going to assume this has something to do with the roll of my leg bones, those of the target and pole, and / or possibly the pole angle setting on the IK setup. The roll of all my leg bones is 180, same with the target and the pole. The pole angle in the IK menu is set to 90, which has my foot bone facing the correct direction. I’m not sure what I have to tweak to fix this, if it’s a matter of changing something with the target and pole, the leg and foot bone, or all of the above. Any help would be appreciated, and if any more information is needed, let me know. Thank you!

1 Like

Hard to have any ideas when we can not see the problem. Might be related to the poll targets.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give FULL screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.
The screenshot can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

1 Like

Has the bone been rotated?

To check, turn on Axes.

They should point in a similar direction.

1 Like

or use windows inbuild screen snip tool to capture & copy the whole or part of the screen >>> Shift + Win + S

Then the snip overlay shows up. Paste as usual.

1 Like

Yes I use Snip for selective areas of the screen when all I need is the place where a button is sort of image. I have it as a button on a Stream Deck for ease of use.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms