Followup On Course Release

Good evening,

I was wondering if someone could give me an update on if this course will ever be completed. It is mentioned many times that UV unwrapping will be discussed in the course, however it seems that the course was cut off short of teaching this.

Marc_Carlyon (https://community.gamedev.tv/u/Marc_Carlyon) mentioned about 10 months ago that the course would be continued with him teaching it, but there have not been updates that I have seen since. Is the finishing of this course planned to happen or is it something that was put to the side so the staff could focus their efforts elsewhere? I know heā€™s been very active in the answering many community questions and am very much looking forward to learning from his videos.

Just very curious, and really wanting to learn UV Unwrapping in Blender from you guys. Iā€™ve worked in 3D Modelling programs (3DS Max and Maya) before and Iā€™m sure I could pick up the nuances in other tutorials, but no-one else teaches things in such an easy to understand and pick up manner.

Any update is appreciated.

Thanks!

Iā€™m not a GameDev member and Iā€™m also not familiar with the actual course status. But in the old Blender (2.79) course, it is explained very superficially.
In the Blender environment-course, It is explained in more details (my opinion).

If you have some 3D knowledge, maybe ask on this forum a question about UV-mapping. So you can proceed in the projects you work on.

@Marc_Carlyon can you say more about this?

From my understanding the ā€œGame Assets Packā€ bonus section does just stop abruptly because it was effectively replaced by the ā€œModular Assetsā€ section by Grant before it was completedā€¦

This was during the 2.8 Beta days when changes in Blenderā€™s interface was causing all sorts of trouble for tutorial channels and I think the section was to some extent irrelevant before it was completed and basically just got archived and designated as a ā€œbonusā€ section.

I agree with Pete, the Complete Blender course only introduces UVsā€¦ theyā€™re explored a lot more in-depth in the Character and Landscaping courses.

The Blender Foundation tuts do a good overview also:

2 Likes

From what I have read here and there, The ā€˜completeā€™ Blender course is not going to be added to any more. They have stopped updating it. Even removed to the archived 2.7 version the other whole sections they are not going to update.

Hi Guys,

I am keeping up with this.

At the moment we wont be updating the content of the course for a little while yet but we do plan to update.

The issue is that when we oiriginally update to blender 2.8x the decision was made to do it soon after blender 2.80 was available.
By the end of the course this left me 60 patches to do and still have changes that have occured due to 2.90.
It seems a little counter productive to produce all that content in now say 2.90 and there are some big changes in 2.91 and 2.92 and even more in 2.93 which would have meant a lot more patches and a lot worse learning journey for the student.
It works in the characters course as its a shorter course and also the content is more targetted and less general so you encounter less issues.

There has been plans to add a ā€œHey heres some changes you might encounterā€ video at the start but this has been delayed with my infection of what they believe was COVID and the after effects of the virus (Stupid hanging on chest infection)
Once i am able to record that will be done.

On the bonus sections the motion capture can be done from the 2.7 content but as again things have changed so mucht here are better ways to do things and is beyond my knowledge to teach (I can do the lectures and make the project but teaching an entire section is a little beyond my capability at the moment!)

Hope this clarifies for everyone :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms