Floating Fantasy Castle

Got a little carried away and decided to keep going after I got the line shading done. Obviously I have tons to learn still but this is fun. I might make a 3D version of this, I really like the vibe…

10 Likes

Yes, great vibe and color shading.

1 Like

Good colour variation and “texture” via the hatching.

I would have considered placing that planet with the rings either behind the larger on, or behind the castle land mass. Right now it looks to be about as big as the castle and floating just above the grass.

2 Likes

Wow, nice colors and shading. Good job!

3 Likes

I would have considered placing that planet with the rings either behind the larger on, or behind the castle land mass. Right now it looks to be about as big as the castle and floating just above the grass.

Thanks! Yeah that was kinda the point, to fill that empty space where there’s really nothing on the island. If I were a better artist I’d probably find some way to seat it more in the background, but hey, something to work towards and some more learning KPIs!

1 Like

Thanks! I almost cheated it by mocking it up in 3D first to get proper lighting, as this version doesn’t really “sell” the position of the moon, but again, more things to learn

2 Likes

Hey, if you did that on purpose, then who cares? If it makes the castle more “fantastical”, then why not have a front door mini planet floating nearby? That might make an interesting 3d rendered scene anyway :wink:

2 Likes

For sure! I definitely think I’ll be able to fudge the planets into the background a little easier for now, because I do agree, the ringed planet is way more “in-your-face” than it was in my head, haha. Parts got lost in translation to real art!

2 Likes

It happens, we all imagine one thing, end up with another. But you know, sometimes the thing we end up getting can be turned into something better.

If you are using a tablet and a painting program, you could use layers in future projects. It helps with moving and aligning things forward or backward behind things. Cheating, really, but certainly a time saver. You could also add “blur” to an object as an object. A thing will look further away the more you reduce its detail or by shrinking it and putting it slightly behind some other object. This tells our brain “hey, this is behind something! It must be smaller!”

Happy drawing :+1:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms