Flamethrower doesn't travel with the muzzle flash

I did exactly the changes @Rick_Davidson made to the flamethrower fx, but mine doesn’t travel with the projectile, it emits on launch and stays put… it works when I drag it around in the prefab scene just it does for Rick, but then not in game…

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.49.49 AM

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.46.34 AM

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.46.16 AM

1 Like

Try changing the SimulationSpace from World to Local in the particle system’s inspector.

1 Like

I shot a 3.5 minute video showing the issue and trying the local change suggestion…

Hmmm… this is definitely odd…
So I looked at the Git version of the project, and couldn’t see anything sticking out… then I looked at my own version of the project… The reason that I’d suggested Local space, it would appear is because in my own project I set the sparkles as a child to the flame itself…

@Rick_Davidson
@sampattuzzi

I need to polish but I still don’t have this looking like Rick’s with the exact same numbers… any ideas? (video above)

Sorry, Heath, I let this one slip by without a follow up.
I’m still not sure what’s going on, and would like to take a look at your project so I can see it in action.
Could you zip up your project and upload it to https://gdev.tv/projectupload (be sure to remove the Library file to save space) and I’ll have a look at this and try to see why it’s not moving with the flame.

uploaded… sorry the scene is dark, jack up the directional light… I was just going to start polishing with environment and lighting

Combination of factors contributed to this not working…

1. The simulation space definitely needed to be local. This makes the particles follow the muzzle
  2. You had the emission burst set for 1 particle at 5 seconds in… Try setting Time to 0 and a nice high Count.
  3. To make it really impressive, I also set the Rate Over Time high and increased the radius and radius thickness.
  4. Move the FX_Flamethrower particle back a bit from the center so it’s a bit behind the main fireball.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iwkofBzQw0
1 Like

awesome… let me dig in and see if I can copy what you did… that fire effect in his hand was just the “weapon” prefab in his hand. I wanted something that told me I did indeed have the fireball equipped. and thanks for looking into that other problem of shooting over water

@Brian_Trotter
I get by with a little help from my friends…

2 Likes

That’s a GREAT effect! Well done!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms