Fixed an old problem...uninstall visual studio community...and got a real job!

I did it! I can’t believe it, but I did it!

A few months ago I had an issue that somehow disconnected my VS Code from Unity. It was a really weird time in my life. I couldn’t build a game, I hated my job, I didn’t really suck at coding, but I didn’t feel comfortable searching for a job yet. The idea of working ‘in the industry’ seemed so far away.

The idea of ‘happy’ seemed so far away.

I didn’t want to be happy, I just didn’t want to be angry anymore. That was good enough for me.

I was really sad, crushed…Problem after problem. It was a really low point without going into further detail.

Then I saw an ad for a React Native developer in my town. It’s the first job like it in my area, and I had to have it…but I didn’t know anything about React Native or JavaScript…so I bought some classes and worked all summer long. I haven’t completed the JS class yet, but I did complete the React Native class and I got that job with our local coding academy.

I’m not actually coding, per-se, so much as setting up lesson plans for an after school program that teaches kids how to code.

SO, now I’m not only developing an after-school curriculum for JS, React, and React Native, but I’m also designing courses for kids to learn Unity and C#!

I’m literally (in part) taking GameDev classes for a living! WOW!

ALSO: Today,I fixed my VS Code / Unity bug and got my connection back!

I got a “Print to the console” message!

It’s been a long journey, but man, life finally feels good! The funny part is that I’m no-where near finished with all of my classes, but I already feel like I made it so I can enjoy my classes instead of rushing to finish and get a piece of paper so I can rush to get a new job. I did it. I can relax. Life is good.

I love working with Unity and C#, and I love working with JS and React, I love working from home, and I love making videos!

This summer has been tough, but truly a blessing! Thank you GameDev and community for all your help! All the tutorials, everyone who helped me, everyone I got a chance to help, everyone who offered encouragement, thank you all!

Most of all, I want to give special thanks Nina and Brandon because the two of you have really spend a lot of extra time helping me out! Thank you both so much for being excellent teaching assistants!

2 Likes

Point of reference:

yea my visual studio also was disconnected from unity once… it was horrible

I can’t even remember how I got that stuff sorted out. It was like magic.

All of the sudden, the Universe said, “Okay, you can play with Unity again…”
That’s the only way I can describe it.

Privacy & Terms