In an effort to just get stuff out the door, I just (pre-) released my first Unity package on GitHub today. It’s a basic run at a Dialogue System that I’m writing for my own projects, using what I’ve learned from these courses, and before RPG part 2 comes out. Version 1.0 is marked as a pre-release as it was developed using a release candidate version of 2019.3 and is not ready for production!
Here’s a link to the GitHub repo, before I get to far into it: https://github.com/Last-Mile-Games/DialogueSystem
Currently you can:
- Create conversations with dialogue nodes (via scriptable objects)
- Indicate a narrative choice was made (also via scriptable objects)
- Identify the speaker both with a picture and a name.
- Select a response via mouse
Ways I plan on improving the package:
- Custom editor windows to visualize branching dialogue
- Allow for multiple “speaker images” to let everyone sit in on the conversation (not just the one talking).
I’ll especially keep updating the package as I learn new tricks working on other projects.
Feedback is appreciated!