First full body sculpt

Really excited for this tutorial set after my first ever sculpted head. Went with the chubby one not because of difficulty, but more because that’s how I envision an ogre. Probably going to end up using sumo references for the torso front, likely with a bit more muscled back and arms (from lifting and throwing all those rocks at people), and envisioning elephant-like feet that are possibly all leathery due to not being able to find boots that fit. The front… there’s muscle under there, but poor ogre can’t help that ogre biology dumps all those calories from stolen goats, and people unwilling to pay the tolls, on his front. Probably because it helps with impact absorption during rock throwing territorial disputes with others of his kind.

Okay… Maybe a little over the top on the story behind a random character used to learn how to even make one in the first place. Ever since I was a kid, I always found it helpful to think about WHY things were the way they were, and create small stories, or biographies… as it helped to flesh out details, and made sure I wasn’t creating something “just because it’s cool”, or if I was… that I COULD give it a purpose. Probably part of essentially being a biology major since I was 6 :rofl:

Either way, REALLY looking forward to going through this tutorial, and seeing where my ogre/troll goes with my first full character model/sculpt. Came into these tutorials, starting with the 3.2 basics set, knowing only the very basics of box/plane modeling from some experimentation in 3DS Max 15+ years ago, and already feeling completely at home in Blender, thanks to @Grant_Abbitt and his amazing teaching style.

4 Likes

:grinning: :+1:

1 Like

You would make an excellent worldbuilder :grin: I love all the details you came up with for the anatomy and the look of your character! Thinking your characters (and environments) through and making backstories and such is actually a great design technique. Eventhough a lot of that work stays for yourself, it does show in the end. It can give your designs a great sene of logic and credibility.

Although I do think that often ‘The Rule of Cool’ on itself is totally justified too! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Great start, nice blocking out.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms