Finishing the Children's Block for the backdrop graphics

I got the letter made but it’s a separate object from the face of the block.
Block Face and L but not joined

and the side view.

A general question making models like this where I would make other letters to put on the block face. Is it a good idea to keep a copy of the block face itself separately and a copy of each letter separately? For future use.

Next question. After making a few more letters I wanted, should I then join the letter to the face and get rid of the underlying ridges of the block face that the letter covers? Or should I just put the letter in place (like I have it) and parent the letter to each block face before I join 6 finished block faces to make up my entire block?

I planned on putting 6 letters on and then rotating and placing 4 blocks so that they spell out a word.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I would keep them separated.

And introduce EMPTIES

Connect a character to an empty (as a parent). The empty is in the exact center of the cube. And the character moved to a good position on the cube side.

The rotating the empty rz90 you can place a letter easily on every side of the cube. More characters with empties combinations are end less.

2 Likes

I would keep copies of all the parts separately. Especially if you decide to join them into single objects.

FedPete’s way of assembling them is fine. You can also use rotation and snapping. You could either parent as you suggest, or just join the letters to each face object.

I would join all the sides into one cube. Mainly as I would want to bevel the edges, soften the cube a fraction.

1 Like

This is coming along nicely. I agree with both suggestions by @FedPete and @NP5, though I too would prefer to be able to combine the 4 sides to bevel the edges.

1 Like

Which can be an object on itself. The beveled cube edges object.
But the question is, how modular do you want to make it.

2 Likes

Now that’s an interesting concept I hadn’t thought of. ~nods yes~

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms