Finished Lamp (as of now)

I skipped a few discussion posts because I kind of just went ahead and modeled/rigged the whole lamp like 5-6 lectures ago as I was already familiar with the various modifiers the course needed to cover. So here’s my completed lamp in a render!

And here is the lamp in the editor:

It’s not anywhere near the lamp that the course is creating and as such I feel I should explain my rigging. From bottom to top:

Base (root bone): no movement will be implemented and no restraints.

Stem: child of Base but not actually attached. Has a location restraint on the local Z for vertical telescoping and a rotation constraint on X and Y so it can only rotate on Z (horizontally)

ArmBase: First swivel joint. Is attached to the Stem bone and has a limit rotation on local Z of 0 to 85 degrees.

ArmExtend: Same concept as Stem, a telescoping section with the same location constraint but with a full rotation constraint.

Neck: Second swivel joint. Same concept as ArmBase.

Head: Full ball joint with constraints of -75 to 75 degrees on each local axis.

This way I can have complete control over the size and position of the entire lamp as it needs to articulate in multiple directions to shove the cube and turn and push the button.

4 Likes

Looking great so far! It’s fine to do things your own way. Just make sure you don’t miss any valuable information in the lectures. Are you setting up IKs?

1 Like

I sure will be setting up IK’s when the course gets to that point. Also I’m not skipping any lectures and am still taking notes on everything, I’m finally hitting my stride after like 4ish years of not progressing so I’m just getting a bit excited to actually make things.

Oh I see, I thought you were skipping some. Then I understand. Well ride that wave my friend! You got something good going here, don’t stop! :smiley:

So update on the IK status: it looks like I won’t be using them. The telescoping parts of the lamp are essential to my animation and as far as I can tell (I spent like an hour researching) there isn’t really a way to constrain a bone to a linear slide with IK without like completely re-rigging my whole lamp. So I’m just animating by hand.

1 Like

Not exactly sure what you mean by contraining it to a linear slide. But you seem to have an exact idea of what you want to do. So go for it

Privacy & Terms