Finished Dragon Rendering

This is the final render of my first sculpt from the dragon sculpt course! Super impressed with the course and still can’t believe that I was able to create something like this. I probably spent too much time on it being my first sculpt but I am extremely satisfied with the result! The total time that I spent on it was around 10 hours.

I am going to try to improve my skill by working on a completely different type of dragon without the help of the course. Any ideas are appreciated, I am thinking of going towards the aquatic type.

12 Likes

Very nice dragon. Very dramatic background, has a great effect coupled to your good lighting.

1 Like

Very cool!! Lots of nice little details (are those eggs by it’s tail?).

How did you do the lightning? A background image or generated somehow?

Aquatic dragon sounds very interesting, if you’re going without instruction my recommendation would be to get as many references as possible, especially if they’re from real life (although other people’s work can be helpful also) :slight_smile:
Looking up things like reptiles that like water and so on.

Thanks! Those are eggs by its tail. I used an alpha material to give them that glossy look.

I set up the lighting myself by using a cool area light in front and a warm area light coming from the back. I also added point lights all along the spine of the dragon to give it glowing spines, and then a warm point light by the eggs.

I did plan on getting several dragon references, but I didn’t think about using actual real life animals. Thanks for the tip! I’ll probably use references of aquatic reptiles, fish and sharks.

1 Like

Yup it’s amazing how much improvement can come from just using real life reference :slight_smile:
And there are some crazy cool designs in nature, have fun with it!

Very nice dragon! Love the composition and the energy of the render it has a really cool classic fantasy vibe.

This is crazy good!!!

Thanks! I was trying to go for the classic fantasy dragon, the lighting does take away from the detailed coloring that I did, but it still came out really well!

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Something to be proud of!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms